Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Little Golden Books...and Snail Mail!

The Literary Connection...in Snail Mail

I picked up this charming book at the book store  recently.  I love the vintage Golden Books and have many happy memories of reading them by the hours to my children.  This book is one for us older folks who could learn a few lessons from these little books!



I particularly enjoyed the lesson learned in this book!




I remember reading this one particularly...having a large family...we were always having babies!


Oh the lessons...yes, have a good cry, then get some sleep!


But what do Golden Books have to do with Letter Writing?  Well, I have just launched a new blog called :   The Charlotte Mason Library .  It is a place where I am trying to downsize my enormous library (I actually have a small ware house full of books besides every nook and cranny of my home!) .  So if you are in the market to build up your home library with family friendly books...you might want to stop by.

Well...in the process, I have  come across some books in pretty sad condition.  Loose spines, no covers...etc.  Soooooo....I decided to turn this little book into (turn your head if this is too painful for you!) envelopes!



And yes, this was hard for me to do...but I felt like it was just going to be discarded otherwise.  So the first step was to tear the pages out.


Then I glued the pages together to make one large sheet to work with.


When I had all of my pages glued together, I got out my envelope   making templates and started to make my envelopes.




I decided to line the two envelopes ( yes!  only two large envelopes!) with another "falling apart "book.  LOL...do you like the title of this chapter?  A Literary Wife?  Oh and just a note.  The elmers super sticky glue sticks work great!  Also...don't you like how I have to show off my cute "Eiffel Tower" scissors?   


But I had quite a bit of my paper left over.  I looked high and low and could not find my tiny envelope template.  So what do you do when you can't find one?  You make your own, of course!  So I took apart this envelope and used it as my template.



Here I go...and yes.  I made the same boo boo that I ALWAYS make when making envelopes.  They are UPSIDE DOWN.  ugh.

 But, I managed to get two cute, upside down mini envelopes, and with some paper left over for collage projects.


Here is the finished project.  I didn't garner lots of envelopes, but  what I did get, is cute.  I hope they bring back fond memories  and a smile on the faces of those that receive them.  So why don't you try an envelope making project?  You'll have a great time, like I did.

Write Letters.
Write Often.

Lady Pamela


5 comments:

  1. I love your sweet little envelopes! Ironically, I made some similar ones a few days ago. It's great to give a new life to the old illustrations. And it's fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always painful for me to tear up books, even when in terrible condition. But I'm glad you found a useful purpose for it and the envelopes look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! I just love these sweet old books! They are like old friends!

      Delete
  3. Oh I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago, I have been going through some of my daughters books that were ripped and covers off. Oh well I will remember this for future reference !

    ReplyDelete